Monday, November 15, 2010

I have arrived

I'm here! Not sure where here is, but... ;-)

OK I do know where I am, I'm in Makassar/Ujung Pandang on the island
of Sulawesi. If you remember, I currently reside in Bogor on the
island of Java.

So this is my first time getting on the airport in Indonesia by
myself. It's better than if I was in Japan, China, Vietnam, Thailand
or any other countries whose alphabet I wouldn't even recognize. I
wasn't so much worried about getting on the plane, but more about
getting on the RIGHT plane.

There are a few differences, it seems that people here don't know how
to be in a line. Well, they do, just the Indonesian way. I'm just not
used to that. People keep cutting in front of me when I would let a
half of a person's space between myself and the next person ahead of
me. When I tapped their shoulder and told them I was in line, the
response was "Sorry, I didn't think you were" and they would look away
from me to ignore me and my subsequent taps.

While waiting in one line, another counter opened up and she smiled at
me and beckoned me over to her counter. Well, my luck with the line is
changing...woohoo. As I gathered my backpack, rolling luggage and the
box of samples I am carrying, several people were tripping over their
own stuff trying to hurry to the new counter. oh well...I guess
when you live in one of the most densely populated cities in the
world, that's what you have to do to get your way.

My one piece of check in baggage is a 1000 liter/day gravity powered
water filter. It's 5 feet tall and 10"x10". When I was at the counter
the person there asked me what was in it and said that it was a very
odd size. And it's heavy too at 33 lbs. I said no, it's not that
heavy, and I have close to 50 lbs allowance. We kept exchanging
exclamations about the size of my box for at least 10 minutes. The
person behind me must have taken pity upon me that I didn't understand
"the system". She gave the person behind the counter the equivalent
of $1.11 and said "let's go". Oh...I see...

After checking in and finally getting my baggage through, I'm ready to
go into the inner sanctum of the airport. I had lots of time and
contemplated about getting some food. I can choose to eat in this area
or inside of the terminal area. I thought that there would be some
decent restaurants inside. Plus I have about $11 of work's money that
I can blow on food for the day. After paying the airport tax to get
into the terminal, I started to look around for restaurants. Remember
this is an international airport. I counted 4 reflexology massage
centers and 4 restaurants and 2 bookstores. So I spent $5 on some
dubious looking restaurant.

Now the waiting games began.

5:45pm boarding time came and went without so much as a peep. I meant
the gate is still closed, we're all still sitting/standing around and
we're all wondering what the heck is going on. At about 6:15 or so,
there was an announcement on the PA system that due to maintenance and
repairs, my flight is delayed 45 minutes. I'm not sure whether it's 45
minutes from the original time, from the time they announced it, or
from the time Santa arrives all sweaty because his coat is way too
warm for Indonesia. Not much I can do about this, they'll open the
gate when they do, so I just waited.

While waiting though, some thoughts about this airplane entered my
head. I really had no idea what to expect as to this airplane. Will
it be a jumbo jet? a single propeller bush plane? I don't know. I have
no idea how big the other airport is, can it even accommodate a jet?

It was such a relief when I saw that the plane I was getting on was a
jet (737) and not a rickety old single prop plane. To be honest I
wasn't sure what to expect. Though I swear the seats are just that
much closer together than what I'm used to, I keep bumping my chin
with my knees.

Two hours of flight and one hour of time zone difference later, I
arrived at the airport of Ujung Pandang (UPG). After I arrived, I
went directly to the baggage claim area. The airport was eerily
deserted, almost like in Stephen King's The Langolier's if you've ever
read that book. After I grabbed my stuff, I was stopped by some kind
of security person asking for the baggage ticket. I have no idea where
it is, and I wasn't really sure what he was asking for.

My Indonesian is not that good when it comes to some stranger
speaking. I have to get used to their spoken words first. I've gotten
by pretty well so far by anticipating the subject. It's not that I
know what people are saying word by word, but I got the gist of it. If
I don't know what they're talking about, I just have to answer by
looking at their body language and the tone of their voice.

Anyway, another disaster averted (my not getting out of the baggage
claims area) and now to find a taxi to the hotel. Out of the whole
event, this was the easiest part. I was told which company to go with
and sure enough, they have prepaid fees. No need to be afraid that I
would be cheated or anything.

And now, I'm in a smoking room, on a smoking floor with the AC on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello there thanks for your grat post, as usual ((o: